Skip to the main content of this page?
Find other sites and services by the City of Greater Sudbury
Greater Sudbury Airport
greater sudbury airport logo
Greater Sudbury Airport
Your journey begins with us. Avoid the hassles of the highway and travel worry-free with the Greater Sudbury Airport. Check here for arrivals, departures, traveller information and more!
Your Local Library
greater sudbury public library logo
Your Local Library
Greater Sudbury Public Library is proud to offer a wide range of bilingual services and collections which meet the information and leisure needs of all ages.
Heritage Museums
sudbury museums logo
Heritage Museums
Discover our rich past. Explore four local museums through digital imaging, audio and video. The site also features the INCO Triangle Digital Archives.
Invest Sudbury
invest sudbury logo
Invest Sudbury
The Greater Sudbury Development Corporation is the engine for local economic development. Explore initiatives to attract, develop and retain business in our city.
Sudbury Tourism
sudbury tourism logo
Sudbury Tourism
Greater Sudbury is a place for adventure. Choose from world-renowned attractions, urban comforts and outdoor getaways. Packages are available.
Regional Business Centre
regional business centre logo
Regional Business Centre
Let us help you find what you need to succeed. Our not-for-profit organization provides information and resources to fund, launch and grow your business, free of charge.

Greater Sudbury

Harmonized Sales Tax

picture of calculator

Municipal Services and the HST

As announced in the 2009 Ontario Budget, Harmonized Sales Tax (HST) will replace the Provincial Sales Tax (PST) and the federal Goods and Services Tax (GST), effective July 1, 2010.

The provincial portion of the HST will be 8 per cent and the federal portion will be 5 per cent, for a combined rate of 13 per cent. As a general rule, any product, program or service that is currently subject to GST will be subject to HST as of July 1, 2010.

Municipal service charges that are currently exempt from the 5 per cent GST will remain exempt from the HST. Examples include:

  • Sports, recreational, leisure learning programs designed for age 14 years and under,
     
  • Public transit,
     
  • Library cards,
     
  • Water/wastewater services,
     
  • Licences and permits,
     
  • Pet registration,
     
  • Building permit fees,
     
  • Sign fees,
     
  • Zoning and planning applications,
     
  • Development charges,
     
  • Landfill tipping fees,
     
  • Junior Citizens Day Care,
     
  • Pioneer Manor Long-Term Care Facility
     
  • Property tax.

Municipal service charges that are currently subject to the GST will be subject to the 13 per cent HST, effective July 1, 2010. Examples include:

  • Sports, recreational, leisure learning programs designed for age 15 and over,
     
  • Facility rentals,
     
  • Ice rentals,
     
  • Pool rentals
     
  • Sports field fees,
     
  • Equipment rentals,
     
  • Fitness memberships,
     
  • Private lessons,
     
  • Public skating and Shinny Hockey,
     
  • Ski passes and lift tickets,
     
  • Public swimming fees,
     
  • Cemetery plots and interment.

Parking fees and Sudbury Community Arena event ticket handling charges will not increase in 2010.

Fees paid or invoiced in full during the months of May and June will have HST applied to the portion of the program that is delivered after July 1, 2010. GST will apply to the portion of the program delivered during May and June.

Programs or contracted agreements that are at least 90 per cent complete by June 30, 2010 will be subject to GST only.

For fees effective July 1, 2010, please see By-Law 2010-27F (pdf).

For more information about the HST, please visit the Ontario Ministry of Revenue web site at www.rev.gov.on.ca